-->

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Lentil With Dough


This is one of the very delicious Syrian appetizer, The receipe is for 5 person and require 2h between preparation and cooking.

Ingredients :

¤ 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
¤ 8 cups water
¤ 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
¤ 2 large onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
¤ 1 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
¤ 1/2 cup lemon juice
¤ 1 cup olive oil
¤ 2 tablespoon pomegranate thickened juice
¤ 1 head garlic, crushed with a dash of salt
¤ 1/2 cup vegetable oil
¤ 1/2 teaspoon of salt
¤ a dash of ground allspice

Steps :


1 - Dough: Put flour with 1/2 cup of water and some salt in a bowl. Knead dough and leave for 2 hours then sprinkle flour over it.
2 - Roll out the dough on a floured surface, till it becomes as thin as possible and round shaped. Fold about 7 cm at one end. Sprinkle flour and fold another 7 cm, same side. Repeat until dough is all layers.
3 - Cut dough into small squares then open them. Put half the quantity in a flat dish. Fry the other half in 1/4 cup of hot vegetable oil until golden. Use to garnish at the end.
4 - Lentil mixture:
5 - Pick small stones or dirt from lentils then wash lentils well, and place in a heavy pan with water. Bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Add lemon juice, pomegranate juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
6 - Fry sliced onions with 1/4 cup of vegetable oil until golden. Add half the quantity of onions to lentils.
7 - Fry in vegetable oil crushed garlic, coriander and add half the quantity to the lentils.
8 - Add unfried dough squares to lentil mixture. Keep stirring till dough is cooked (about 20 minutes).
9 - Serve hot or cold, garnished with fried onions, coriander and fried dough pieces.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tayeb geedan!

4/16/2007 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Sara Ashes said...

I wish you would ressurect this blog!!! I love it!

10/01/2007 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Winkler said...

Hi guys, I wanna hear from you!I have had you on my blog roll since February 08 but I ain't heard from you yet! I am having a food blog competition to raise awareness of real food

http://realfoodlover.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/our-daily-bread-blog-competition/

9/12/2008 05:30:00 AM  
Anonymous shisha said...

come on guys - I am living in the UK and a wait a true Arabian style cooking blog.

2/12/2010 06:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!
I printed the recipe. Going to make it as soon as I have all the ingredients.
I invite you to join my network and add your delicious recipes, there is an option for Middle Eastern cuisine in the forms section.
http://peaceforpalestine.ning.com/

reagrds,
Geneviève

2/12/2010 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/13/2012 02:26:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello! my husband is Egyptian, that's why I studied from the beginning how to cook his favorite dishes. Here is my blog http://sh.st/v6Slu . You will find much interesting recipes there.

9/19/2015 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello
I Read your article. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information, and I hope you will share some more info about Middle Eastern Restaurant. You wrote really very well, I really like your blog and information provided by you. I appreciate your work. This information is very useful for me and other peoples.
Thanks

5/18/2019 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Recruitment For Saudi Arabia said...

recruitment agency in pakistan for qatar

6/08/2023 04:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home